Sunday, April 30, 2017

Friends Together 2017!!



Whoohoooo!!!

We are so excited to be returning to Tanzania with FriendsTogether this July!!  It's much different the second time around because we know what to expect.  Check out entries from April and May 2015 to read about some of the planning and excitement our first time around!

It's Sunday night and I just spent several hours today organizing supplies from the Squadron Line fundraiser.  All I can say is WOW!  This time we did a supply drive and teamed up with the Take Action Club (TAC).  I think that was a big help in getting the word out and people getting behind the drive.  Heather, the club coordinator, was great to work with.  I attended a meeting and presented slide shows to the group to give them background information on the people we would be helping and the level of poverty in Tanzania. We decided to have the students in TAC present the fundraiser slide show to all of the classrooms in the school.  They did a great job!  There was definitely a buzz around school.

I teach 4th - 6th grade so I had a picture of myself (and Owen) on the slide show since many of the younger kids don't know me.  Last week I had little kids saying hi to me (with excitement) in the hallways and when I was on bus duty.  The fundraiser  was also mentioned on the morning announcements (thanks, Heather!) and kids in my room would joke that I was "famous."   I was overwhelmed when the supplies started pouring in.




Each day, our custodians (thanks, Blair and Steve!) helped me load up the donations into my car.  Kids were bringing in bags full of supplies!  I'll be uploading pictures.


Today, my friend Nancy dropped off her daughter Katie, and friend Sami.  Both girls needed service hours for CCD and came to help with organizing supplies.  We spent 2 hours taking inventory, breaking down supplies (removing from packaging and putting in Ziplocs to save space and weight) and deflating soccer balls.  Here is what we ended up with:






No comments:

Post a Comment