Thursday, July 2, 2015

Conference call with Tanzacare and an email point to an experience of a lifetime!

Last night we had a conference call with Kelly, the executive director of Tanzacare, to get more information about the school's we will be working with. Most of us will be staying at the same hotel, then traveling out to our perspective schools during the day. It will be interesting to get together at night and share our experiences!  The hotel was described as having running water and power most of the time :).  One thing that Kelly said that really resonated with me was the importance of not only what we are donating in terms of "stuff", but the importance of our physically being there. How much it means to the kids to see that they matter, and that there are people out there that care about them and are wanting to help. That our presence will make a difference. These people live in huts and may only eat one meal a day. They have to walk miles to school and are miles from a water source. They have nothing, yet they are described as proud, intelligent and happy. They simply lack resources and opportunity.

Cathy passed along an email to all of us from Butch, a close friend of hers that joined Friends-Together on the last trip to Africa, but is unable to come this time. It gives a glimpse of what we will experience. I feel so blessed to be part of this group!


  
To the 2015 Tanzania Group,
I am so excited for your guys. The highlight of my life's work in HIV was my Tanzanian experience and I have been doing this work for 28 years. I am not going to moan about not getting to go this time around although you will be transporting my heart as you travel (fortunately Delta will not charge luggage fees on my heart..lol). For Garrett and Cathy who have been there before you can vouch for my testimony. For those of you going for the first time it will change your life forever.  You will experience every emotion known and often several of them at the same moment. I guarantee you will have a smile to counter every tear you will shed. Tanzania is a special place, spiritual, cultural, gentle, accepting, appreciative and loving. You will be made to feel that you are family. I have not had that feeling in other parts of Africa, although I have been to only a few countries there. I loved the times when we didn't have electricity because it forced me to commune with nature. I felt connected with the land, listening to the banana leaves sway in the wind, sitting outside the huts we stayed in at night watching the stars in total darkness. I never knew there were that many. You learn to appreciate the things you take for granted. The music we heard was not from our radios but from the women's groups and orphans singing to us. They love to sing and dance in Tanzania especially for guests.
The work you will doing, the supplies you will deliver and the messages of hope you deliver will be appreciated beyond anything you can imagine. Be prepared as best you can for the plight of the children you will encounter. You will want to take them all home with you. They will steal your hearts in a second. Study their eyes for there lies their stories....often sad stories, stories of pain from hunger, stories of loneliness from loss of family, but also inspiring stories of perseverance, independence, accomplishments, and most of all hope. Not many children have experienced the life they know, but you will fell their strength. They are not bitter, as they reach out and take your hand they are in search of belonging. For a short moment you are that lost parent or sibling they so cherished and now miss. Be gentle with them and they will make your day and fill your heart with love. 
The organizations you will work with will amaze you at their dedication. Your Moshi hosts at Springlands Hotel will cater to your needs and respect you for your mission. For those climbing, I send wishes that each of you make the summit but know that if that is not the case it was the effort that counts. Only Garrett reached the Roof of Africa on our trip but all the climbers were heroes for their efforts. 
Last but not least you have the privilege to travel and be guided by the greatest humanitarians I have had the privilege to know. Yes I am referring to Cathy and Garrett. You guys rock! You will also have the privilege to meet Bernard, the man whose heart is as big as Africa. He is truly a hero in my book. His work with the children in Uganda is so inspirational and commendable. Please each of you give him a hug for me. Bruce and his family will be there to ensure your safety as you climb the mountain. You will be in good hands throughout your travels in Tanzania.
Have a great trip and remember to share it with everyone. I will be looking to getting posts from you guys daily. I kept a journal and suggest you do the same. I go back at least every couple of weeks and read my journal and imagine I am back watching a brilliant sunset with the giraffes, zebras, monkeys and all the other wonderful gifts of God grazing in the most beautiful fields in the world. You are going to have the time of your life....enjoy it. Thank you for caring enough to make this journey. You will not regret it. Happy traveling my friends.
Butch McKay

No comments:

Post a Comment