Thursday, July 20, 2017

Arusha (July 14-17)



Arusha! 

Cathy, Kelly, Doug, Theresa, Liz, Janet, Bonnie, Owen and I all left for Arusha Thursday morning.  Tashoy, Ashley, and Yajaida were staying back in Moshi doing home visits with TAFCOM and joining us on Saturday.  

True to Tanzania time we left Moshi about an hour and a half later than planned. We had a LOT of stuff!!
 

Arusha is the 3rd largest city in Tanzania but only has 2 stop lights. Traffic is insane! And there are no stop signs! When the driver needs to turn against oncoming cars he flicks his lights until someone flicks back! 

                   

I was dropped at the hotel to rest as I had a headache from my fall, and the rest of the group went on to a high school to present to 1000 students. 

After the high school they went on home visits with Yessiah to see some of the families from the Tim Harrington primary school.  As with the home visits we did in 2015, they visited homes of people living in extreme poverty. Owen diffused the sadness with some cute animal pics!

As stated by Liz Watkins:

"This lady is 100. She lives in slums of Arusha. These are the worse slums I have seen since Nicaragua in 1986. 
Imagine the slums in India in the movies.  Theresa, Cathy and I bought her 40 lbs of rice, 25 lbs of beans and 2 gallons of cooking oil. She and her family of 12 hadn't eaten in 3 days.
They live in a room the size of our shed. Her name is Zanban. She told me, she met her sister in me.

    





No comments:

Post a Comment